I was sick the beginning of this week so we were home quite a bit. Kevin came to the rescue and took Calum to his doctor appointment then killed some time at the store to give me a break :) Such a good guy. We love him.
Our cutie girl.
Calum has had a cold for the past month or so, he finally learned to blow his nose this week which makes life more pleasant for him, haha. In addition he has been preluding his sneezes by saying "Ah, Ah, Choo." and then sneezing for real. Haha. Cracks me up. He also put on his spiderman jammies the other day so I starting singing the spiderman song, he put up his hand and said,"Stop mom, I want to sing spiderman." And then he sang it. Haha. This along with saying he loves everything and wanting to cheer's (like you do with drinks) everything from bowls of cereal to neckties, it's safe to say this kid keeps us laughing.
We bundled up and went downtown to watch the Grand Illumination :) It was pretty fun to see the lights, hear carolers, and see horse drawn carriages. It was mostly fun to be out and about with these hooligans. Plus there's a German market up all this month so that was fun to check out and get some authentic Brauttys!
The weather was amazing Saturday so we went for a little hike by our house.
Calum kept stopping every ten steps or so to play in the dirt. He was in heaven. Took us forever to walk two miles.
He was pretty tuckered out, we tried to get him to wake up but he wasn't having it.
We went to Kevin's sister's house on Thanksgiving day. We were so grateful we got to spend the day celebrating with them, and are so glad they live so close. Calum had a ball in their windows reading books and dancing. Haha. His own little stage.
Made my first ever pecan pie. Kevin and I even cracked the nuts. I think it took us and hour each to get a cup of them. Haha. We were trying to make use of some nuts some people gave to us. Haha. The pie was delicious, next time we will have to buy them already shelled :)
This was the first Thanksgiving that we decided not to go home. Normally we would go to either mine or Kevin's parents, stay the whole weekend, party non-stop and be surrounded by family young and old. It's a little crazy at both our houses because we are both the youngest of six and their are 20+ grandkids on both sides. Its madness, but in a good way. We decided to stay put this weekend because last year we went home for Thanksgiving and Christmas and it was a whole lot of driving. We decided our time would be better spent just taking a longer vacation over Christmas and visiting both families.
Anyway, I mention this because I was kind of bummed that we were missing out and was feeling a little sad and alone. Kevin was working and I was busy doing the same old thing at home. And kept thinking, this isn't what holidays are about. I'm supposed to be surrounded by globs of people that love me and be crazy busy having fun making memories with them.
So I was being a bum, on top of that I had a stomach bug for a couple days so was being quite the homebody. But I decided to bust out my sewing machine and sew some stuff for Christmas. While I was sewing and thinking, I had an overwhelming sense of gratitude for things that I had. I had fabric that was given to me a while ago that I was now able to use, I had an awesome sewing machine that we got for a steal about a year ago. And I had the knowledge/ skills to make something for someone else. Which made me grateful for my mom, and the hours she has spent helping me sew and teaching me. So I was sewing up a storm and feeling pretty awesome.
The next day I was making some pies for Thanksgiving, and again was just filled with gratitude for all the things I've been given. And again how grateful I was to my mom for teaching me how to make pies. It kind of made me feel like I was at home, if that makes sense, and doing what we do during the holidays. I had the thought, that even though I wasn't with family, I was still carrying on family traditions, and I am passing them on to my new family. Which I am just so grateful for. I'm thankful to be a mom and to be able to teach my children things that they will use in their lives and pass on to their kids. What and awesome thing to be a mom! I'm so lucky to be home with these kiddos every day and love and teach them. So even though I miss my mom and the rest of my family like crazy, and was pretty bummed I didn't get to see Jared get a pie to the face in person, I love getting to be with my little family everyday and watch them learn and grow. And I just thought, God is good. I am so blessed.
And that's what these holidays are for, remembering Gods goodness and love for us no matter where we are and who we're with. His love is always around us, and I am just so grateful for the knowledge that I have of his love for me and my family. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)
Hopefully I can remember that everyday this month and remember what this season is truly about.
Happy December! We're ready for Christmas! Are you?






















No comments:
Post a Comment