Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Adventure is out there!

It must have been a holiday or something because I just uploaded a bazillion pictures!
We went to the busiest park I've ever been to this week. It is so fun and has so much to do but there were a ton of summer camps there and so keeping track of Calum was a little stressful. Real life Where's Waldo! He is in this picture can you find him?

(Cheat: He's in the back right hand corner on the slide.)

Some cities around here do Independence Eve fireworks. So we got the party started a day early, met some friends at the park and watched fireworks. It was pretty fun, except I must have had Calum on my shoulders for too long because when we got home that night my right arm was numb and tingly. 



The next morning I woke up to a still tingly arm and may or may not have convinced myself that I was having a heart attack :) I talked to a few medical experts (my dad and my friend who's in med school) They assured me I was not dying. And I was able to enjoy the rest of the fourth in peace! Ha.
We had breakfast at the park with our ward


Went swimming with some friends



Then had dinner and lit/watched fireworks
These were the best pictures I got of these monkeys. Calum punching Ailee and then putting her in a choke hold. Story of my life. She is going to be one tough cookie. 

The next morning my arm tingles were gone and Kevin and I decided to do something crazy. So we packed up the car and decided to take a day trip. We drove close to 3 hours to get to Hanging Lake in Glenwood Springs. We then waited in the car for over an hour while we waited for a parking spot! Dang holiday weekends! Anyway, we finally got onto the trail and it was so worth it. It was pretty and shaded. A fabulous combo if you ask me. The hike was just over a mile but you climb over 1000 feet, so it was quite the workout. The trail had little steps cut out of the rocks in lots of places which made fore a relatively easy hike. 
Eating on the go.

This carrier was the worst! It's kind of loose on me so Ailee kept leaning way back or trying to climb out. I carried her in my arms for a little bit of it, but then we just decided to put her in the back pack on the hike back. I should have brought my wrap instead but I thought I'd be too hot. Bad decision on my part. She's pretty cute though.
Everyone kept saying how difficult this hike was so we thought we'd better let Calum ride. He was kind of upset, but once he found the Camelbak he was a-ok! We thought he was going to drink all of our water, he wouldn't quit sipping on it! Haha.

Funny kid. Haha. So we got to the top and were a little disappointed to find out that Hanging Lake is really more of a pond. Haha. But it was suuuuuper beautiful! So we really weren't that disappointed. Haha. We had just both imagined something very different.


Hi super clear water. It's covered in limestone. I guess that's what makes it look this way.

A thunderstorm suddenly rolled in just as we were about to head back down. See the raindrops on the pond, I mean lake. So we hiked down in the rain for a while. Again, the tree coverage on the trail was nice. We didn't get too wet.

Basically it was a pretty awesome hike. Calum walked most of the way down as him and Kevin chanted "Oreo, Oreeeeeo."

Cute girl slept most of the way down, in the rain even.

Can you spot the Colorado River behind me?

This was probably my favorite thing. Kevin climbs on this log for me to take a picture of him, then of course Calum wants to follow suit. And basically copies his dad exactly.



Kevin did do this pointing pose but I didn't get a pic of it. Too cute Calum buddy.

Calum's favorite part was probably chopping things with his stick! 

After Hanging Lake we drove another hour to a little place called Asssssspen.
It wasn't very pretty at all...

Clearly I'm kidding. It was gorgeous!!!
Just outside of Aspen is Maroon Lake and the Maroon Bells (The two big mountains). They claim they are the most photographed mountains in the US. I believe it. They are so picturesque. 








Calum really wanted to get into the lake. He waded in up to his knees and decided it was too cold. That didn't stop him from wanting to touch every little stream that flowed into the lake. He constantly asked "Can I touch it?" See him laying down in the right picture trying to touch the stream? Haha


Ailee was not as excited to touch the cold water. But she did like getting tickled.

More super clear water.


I don't know why but these pictures make me happy!


In addition to spotting a snake, some fish and birds, we also got to see a moose taking a bath.

And three beavers! 


This is a beaver, swimming with a branch. Pretty neat!


By now we are pretty tired, dirty and tired. But that didn't stop us from taking Aspen by storm. Definitely a lively city. Tons of people outside lots of shops and what not. We felt very underdressed. Haha. Everyone was very done up for a night on the town. We just got some pizza and hung out at a park before we headed back.

The way home was windy, narrow and quite the climb. I was a little nervous we were going to fall off the road at any moment. Kevin didn't love my consent pestering to make sure he was still awake and aware of the speed limit etc :) But we made it home safe and sound at about 1:30 am. It was a good day :)
I took Ailee girl to the doctor Monday to check on that mucus plug in her throat, and guess what?? It's gone! Yahoo! One less thing to worry about. Thanks heavenly father! 

Calum's favorite thing when we go to the doctor is to get a mask and a virus. And such was the case on Monday. He got a fever, went to bed at 3:30 and slept through the night til 9 am the next day. Poor kid. He's feeling better today though so that is good.

Other randoms from the week- we grilled up Calum's fish he caught in Estes Park.

Calum decided he didn't want his carrot and spit it back into the bag. Yum.

Sleeping and fake sleeping



Cute Ailee from a few months back. 

It was so fun getting to go check out this beautiful country that we are so blessed to live in. So grateful for the sacrifices people have made to make this land free and all that that entails. It was a good week. I love my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment