Monday, August 19, 2013

Welcome Ailee Kate

Our sweet baby girl came into the world August 13, 2013 at 3:12 pm. She was a good 11 days early but that didn't stop her from weighing a whopping 7.6 lbs and being 20 inches long. We named her Ailee Kate which are variations of her grandma's names Ilene and Cathy :)
If you aren't into reading about her birth story I wont be offended if you just skip through and look at the pictures :)



I started having mild contractions early Tuesday morning. I'm not very good at being able to tell when they start and stop but they seemed pretty consistent, and since my labor with Calum only lasted 6 hours I thought I'd better go in ASAP just to make sure we didn't end up having her at home.
Calum was awesome, he woke up while we were gathering our stuff, we got him dressed and took him to our friends house to play with their two girls. She claims he was great all day, so hopefully that is true :)
They checked me into the hospital, I was only at a 3 which was what I was the Friday before, and my contractions still weren't too bad. They called my doctor to see what he wanted to do and he told them to get me an epidural and he would come in and break my water.



Let me just say that this labor was so crazy different from Calum's. With Calum, my water broke and I instantly started having intense contractions, I was in pain almost the entire time because I only had an epidural for an hour before I started pushing. This time it was just a waiting game. I had an epidural while my contractions were still pretty manageable. Once they broke my water I could see me contracting like crazy on the monitor but I wasn't feeling a thing. Modern medicine is the greatest. Kevin and I just hung out and watched some shows on the computer. Haha. I was even able to cat nap a bit. So crazy.
Kevin didn't think to bring a jacket so here he's wrapped up in a hospital blanket. Haha.


At noon I was fully dilated but was having some pretty intense back labor. The doctor said the baby was posterior and was still up pretty high, so he wanted to wait before I started pushing. They gave me what they said was a small dose of medicine to keep me comfortable while we waited for baby to come down more and hopefully turn face down. The medicine definitely made me comfortable but I couldn't feel anything. I was really nervous, but they assured me that it would wear off enough before it was time to push. I was really nervous that I wasn't going to be able to do it cause I was seriously so numb.
We waited til about 3 before I started pushing. It was so crazy to just be waiting around at a ten with no pain. It was making me really nervous, but they kept assuring me that the baby was doing awesome and that waiting would only help.
She didn't end up turning at all. After a few contractions, she came out face up. They didn't take her away and clean her or weigh her. They just put her right on me and let me just snuggle and love her for about an hour. It was awesome. Way more laid back and less chaotic than Calum's birth. We just got to sit and enjoy the day and and our sweet little miracle.



Kevin did awesome. He didn't even pass out :) He cut the cord and everything! 


After a while they did have to take her and bug her. She was not happy about it.






After they moved us to another room we went and got Calum. He was pretty cute meeting his sister.


Ailee brought Calum a toy airplane that he was pretty excited about.


Silly Calum



We are so grateful for our baby girl. We are so glad she got here safe and sound. She makes all the miserable parts of pregnancy worth it. I love her so much already. I am so grateful for the blessings of the temple and the knowledge that I can be with my family forever. I love them so much and I am so excited to watch Miss Ailee grow and be crazy just like her crazy brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment